Postgraduate Program Admission
The postgraduate programs of the Department emphasize training in original research, focusing on fundamental, interdisciplinary and applied areas. Among such areas with greatest potential to achieve significant results of relevance to the growth of technological industry are studies of biologically active molecules, new synthetic methods and materials, and surface chemistry. The Department has modern well equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art instrumentation, glassware, chemicals and other items required for all research activities as covered by the above areas. Research postgraduate students also have access to instrumentation shared with other Departments within the University. Opportunity is provided for research students to participate in both local and overseas conferences.
General University Requirements
Research PG Programs
For MPhil degree programs, applicants should:
- have obtained a bachelor's degree from HKUST or a recognized institution, or obtained an approved equivalent qualification; and
- satisfy the school and department concerned as to their fitness to pursue the postgraduate program.
For PhD degree programs, applicants should:
- normally have obtained a master's degree from HKUST or an approved institution, or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years; and
- satisfy the school and department concerned as to their chosen subject of research and their fitness to undertake the research.
NON-local students must allow time to obtain a Hong Kong student visa.
Taught PG Programs
For CHEM MSc degree program, please refer to The MSc in Analytical Chemistry Program Website
English Language Requirements
For the English language requriement, please refer to
In addition to the above, individual school and department may stipulate higher English proficiency requirement.
Research Program Offer
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
PhD programs require a combination of coursework and independent research, with major emphasis placed on research.
- Normal Duration of Study
Full-time: 3 years if a relevant master's degree is earned prior to entering the PhD program
4 years with a first degree
Part-time: 8 years
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- MPhil programs are normally several terms in duration and require a combination of coursework and independent research.
- Normal Duration of Study
For Further Information
For application form and further details about our postgraduate programs, https://pg.ust.hk/landing or contact:
Postgraduate Admissions Team
Academic Records and Registration Office
Telephone No.: (852) 2623 1120
Facsimile No.: (852) 2358 2463
Email : email@example.com